Ash Wednesday – Feb 26
The Season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, which this year is on February 26. Please be attentive to our Ash Wednesday liturgy schedule at St. Mary’s and the WCU Catholic Campus Ministry chapel.
- 6:30 AM – Mass at St. Mary’s
- 12:15 PM – Mass at WCU CCM
- 12:15 PM – Liturgy of the Word with Distribution of Ashes at St. Mary’s
- 5:30 PM – Liturgy of the Word with Distribution of Ashes at WCU CCM
- 6:30 PM – Mass (bilingual) at St. Mary’s
Lenten Penance & Fasting
Lent is a season of more intensive prayer, fasting and almsgiving (works of charity) to help us prepare for the joyful celebration of Our Lord’s Resurrection at Easter. The faithful are encouraged to take on additional practices in each of these areas during this time.
There are also certain common penances that are mandated by the Church to help us in our Lenten observance.
- Catholic faithful aged 14 and older are expected to abstain from flesh meat (fish is permitted, as are broths and sauces made from meat stock) on Ash Wednesday and every Friday during Lent.
- Catholic faithful between the ages of 18 and 59 are expected to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The law of fasting allows for one full meal, but does not prohibit taking additional food if needed, provided it does not equal another full meal.
- Those whose diets are impacted by medical conditions are not bound by laws of fasting and abstinence.
The faithful are encouraged to take on additional means of fasting and self-denial throughout Lent. It is important always to remember that our fasting should be accompanied by prayer and works of charity.