The season of Lent begins with Ash Wednesday, which this year falls on March 2. We will have multiple opportunities for the faithful to receive blessed ashes both at the parish and on the WCU campus.
Ash Wednesday is a day of fasting and abstinence.
- The law of fasting binds Catholics age 18-65 and allows for one full meal a day, but does not prohibit taking additional food if needed. The obligatory days of fasting are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, but the faithful are encouraged to practice fasting throughout the season of Lent as they are able.
- Catholics age 14 and above are obliged to abstain from flesh meat (fish is OK) on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays during Lent.
At St. Mary’s
- 7:30 AM | Liturgy of the Word with distribution of ashes
- 11:30 AM | Mass (English) with distribution of ashes
- 3:00 PM | Liturgy of the Word with distribution of ashes
- 5:30 PM | Confession
- 6:30 PM | Mass (Spanish) with distribution of ashes
- 1:00 PM | Mass with distribution of ashes
- 3:00-5:00 PM | A brief liturgy with ashes will be celebrated every 1/2 hour on the UC Lawn
- 7:30 PM | Liturgy of the Word with distribution of ashes
- 8:00 PM | Holy Hour of Adoration with Evening Prayer